Waving the Flag Poster Commission
2023 Carnival Artwork Announcement
Ryde Arts are pleased to announce that the 2023 commissioned artist for the 2023 carnival artwork is Katie Stone. The artwork is now completed and they are getting ready to translate this to the poster, programme and other printed communications for the carnival.
Ryde Arts are excited to announce a new commission for the Ryde HAZ (Heritage Action Zone) cultural project; Waving the Flag.
Following the success of our 2022 poster, designed by local artist Pete Bradley, we are again looking for an artist to provide new artwork for the 2023 Ryde Carnival season. The artwork will be used for a range of marketing purposes including (but not limited to) posters, merchandise, digital merchandising and television placement. We would also like the posters to be available as signed, collectable, limited edition prints on high quality archival paper.
Waving The Flag is a collaborative project between locally based cultural organisations; Ryde Carnival Association, Ryde Arts, New Carnival Company and Shademakers. The commission will fall in the second year of the project, launching the return of Ryde Carnival’s main and illuminated processions after a two year hiatus caused by the Covid pandemic. Waving the Flag is three year project funded by Historic England, Arts Council England and Heritage Lottery as part of the Ryde Heritage Action Zone initiative. For further information about Waving the Flag and the Ryde HAZ, visit https://www.rydearts.org/haz.
The fee for the commission is £1500. Work must be completed and submitted by April 1st 2023.
If you have any further questions about the commissions, please email [email protected].
We are looking for:
- Someone able to use their creativity to help raise the profile of a much loved local tradition.
- An inspiring design that helps bring in new audiences and encourages new ways of seeing the event.
- Active engagement with the heritage of Ryde Carnival as part of the design process.
- Candidates with experience creating artwork to publicise events.
- Candidates experienced in adapting work for different contexts.
- A willingness to document the commission through social media platforms.
- A willingness to contribute to Ryde Arts’ promotion of the commission.
How to apply:
- In no more than 500 words, please outline why you are interested in this commission
- Include attachments to three relevant pieces of work.
- A current CV outlining your relevant experience including a link to your website and/or professional social media accounts.
Please email applications to Abi Wheeler, Creative Director, Ryde Arts CIC [email protected].
Deadline for applications is midday, Friday 10th February 2023. The successful applicant will be notified the week beginning 20th February, 2023.